Läsarkommentarer

Shocking pictures show dead rat and mouse on floor of Indian takeaway

Bell Bowen (2020-07-16)


Rotting rat and mouse carcasses have been found strewn across the floor of an Indian takeaway which was shut down for a slew of hygiene-related health risks.

Kaykashan Roti House in Bradford, West Yorkshire, was stung by the Food Standards Agency which discovered the dead rodents and droppings.

Takeaway staff were also found to be wearing dirty aprons and admitted not disinfecting surfaces before preparing food. 

Mohammed Imran, the owner of the eatery which has since been allowed to reopen, pleaded guilty to eight counts of failing to comply with EU food safety laws. 

Disgusting pictures of the rodents lay bare the hygiene problems plaguing the takeaway - clumps of the rat's matted fur are beginning to drop off.

Rotting rat and mouse carcasses were found strewn across the floor of Kaykashan Roti House takeaway in Bradford, West Yorkshire

Mohammed Imran, the owner of the eatery (pictured) which has since been allowed to reopen, pleaded guilty to eight counts of failing to comply with EU food safety laws

Bradford Council prosecutor Harjit Ryatt said: 'They (health inspectors) found a widespread, uncontrolled mouse infestation at the premises.

'This...

posed a serious health issue. Mice and rats can spread potentially life threatening diseases.

'There was a sticky mat found in the food serving area that is used to trap rodents - there was a dead rat and mouse on it.

'There were copious amounts of rodent droppings on the premises.

'Staff appeared to be aware of rodents and https://penzu.com/public/09ecb3dc droppings on the premises, but had made no efforts to clean them up prior to the business opening.

'Employees confirmed that while they washed their hands they didn't disinfect work surfaces or utensils - they weren't aware of the need for that.

A filthy container is one of the slew of hygiene-related health risks which saw the Food Standards Agency shut the eatery down

Rodent droppings were discovered at the property.

Staff appeared to be aware of rodents and droppings on the premises, but had made no efforts to clean them up prior to the business opening

'In officers' view it was an immediate risk to public health.'

On December 6, Health inspectors ordered Imran to shut the business down immediately and informed him they would return a week later.

Mr Ryatt said: 'At that time (Dec 13) officers noticed packaging, drinks cans and bottles that were contaminated with rodent droppings.'

Another visit on January 10 found further evidence of mouse droppings.

RELATED ARTICLES



Share this article
Share


Food was also found to not be properly stored, with 'frozen chicken stored at too high a temperature'.

Mr Ryatt added: 'He (Imran) told officers that Asian style food was generally cooked at a high temperature that will kill off all bacteria.'

Although the business was closed following the inspections, the Council has since allowed it to reopen.

At its last inspection in May the takeaway was given a food hygiene rating of one out of five, meaning 'major improvement is necessary'

At its last inspection in May the takeaway was given a food hygiene rating of one out of five, meaning 'major improvement is necessary'.

Rachel Meller, defending, said Imran had since transformed the business, improving hygiene, and regularly paid for pest control workers to visit the take away.

She said he had learned an 'invaluable lesson' from his prosecution.

Andrew Rogerson, chair of the bench, said Imran had a 'very high' level of culpability,

Addressing the defendant, he added: 'You displayed certificates that were false and you knew to be false - you intentionally breached the law.

'There was a high risk of adverse effects to individuals, particularly your customers.

'The reduction in standards has taken place over a series of years'. 

Imran will be sentenced at Bradford Crown Court on September 20.



© Socialmedicinsk tidskrift. All rights reserved!